Riding the Waves of Parenting and Committee Life

As the sun begins to dip toward the horizon on my two-year journey with the School Parents and Guardians Committee, I find myself navigating a sea of nostalgia and frustration. It's been quite the adventure, filled with highs and lows that have left their mark on my heart.

I stepped into the role of secretary (despite my lack of Greek) with lofty ambitions of revolutionizing our local school community with global best practices. Little did I know the whirlwind of emotions and experiences that awaited me. Perhaps it’s the exhaustion, the perimenopausal rollercoaster, or the stress from work, but this school, nestled in the sunny coastal suburbs of Athens with just 200 students, has become more than just a place of education for my kids—it’s my second home - a place to rest.

Balancing the desires of my children has been like walking a tightrope with fire underneath. One demands my participation at every turn, while the other wishes for invisibility at the school gates. It's a delicate dance that often leaves me feeling stretched in all directions.

And then there are the endless hours lost at Committee meetings and messages filled with debates, arguments, votes, opinions and parental level politics —whether an email should be sent today or tomorrow, the constant begging from local shops for sponsorship, the arguments over who said what among teachers and parents. Not to mention the delicate negotiations with a parent who may have indulged a bit too much at one of our school events (yes, it’s happened!).

Amidst the chaos and occasional frustrations, there’s a deep sense of pride in what we’ve accomplished together. From successful clothes drives to extravagant carnivals, from setting up the school for a new academic year to navigating the intricacies of local governance, we’ve truly been a force to reckon with.  And my personal achievement - communicating with the growing multicultural community of the school - ensuring they are engaged, included and welcomed.

I am looking forward to the final bang - the vibrant summer party where we will dance late into the night under the stars on school grounds like giddy teenagers, surrounded by the sounds of Greek music and the aroma of souvlaki. It's these moments that make all the challenges and hard work worthwhile.

Here's to embracing the waves of parenting and committee life with courage and a dash of Greek flair!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Smoke

Mummyfried. Really.

I love my stalker